Alan Roberts represents corporations, insurance companies and individuals in litigation and mediation involving product liability claims, labor law, toxic tort litigation, environmental law, breach of contract, fraud and criminal law. Evaluate judgment and jury verdicts and recommend reserves to insurance companies. Negotiate settlements. Interact with insurance companies: Zurich, Travelers, Merchants, Worchester, Kemper and others.
Product Liability / Environmental / Toxic Tort Litigation. Conducted litigation for 50 to 100 defense cases related to lead poisoning, asbestos and masonry products. Mediated and settled cases below insurance companies’ reserves saving as much as 33% for corporations.
Labor Law Litigation. Collaborated with a team of attorneys handling multi-million dollar lawsuits for plaintiffs. Specialized in depositions, motions and summary judgment motions for dozens of personal injury actions, including cases filed under the New York Labor Law Section 240.
Criminal Defense Litigation. Represented members of New York Social Services Employees Union, Local 371, on most phases of criminal cases. Resolved 90% to 95% of cases by dismissal or through plea bargaining.
Employee Disciplinary Litigation. Tried 30 to 40 employee disciplinary cases before 2 tribunals, the New York City Office of Administrative Trials and Hearings (OATH) and the New York City Housing Authority. Litigated a reduction in penalty for employees on 70%+ of the cases.
Breach of Contract / Fraud. Key member of plaintiff litigation team of 5 lawyers in federal litigation arising from international distribution of regulated medical devices, styled in I-Med Pharma v. Genzyme Corp., et al. Established the document management control system to handle 200,000+ case-related and litigation documents for this highly complex case. Provided litigation support.
Areas of Practice
- 75% Personal injury litigation
- 15% Civil litigation
- 10% Insurance defense
- 90% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- New York, 1988
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
- Albany Law School of Union University, Albany, New York
- J.D. – 1987
- Renssalaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, New York
- B.S., Master’s of Business Administration – 1987
- Acute Building Sickness, An Overview, ABA Tort & Insurance Practice, 8, 1996
Past Employment Positions
- Lester, Schwab, Katz & Dwyer, Associate Attorney, 1990 – 1996
- Heidell, Pittoni, Murphy & Bach, Associate Attorney, 1986 – 1990
- Sigma Chi